Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Retrospective Information

In regards to my topic of interdisciplinary tensions between communication and psychology, I believe that using an academic blog is extremely beneficial for a few reasons:

Firstly, procrastination can sometimes take priority when researching for a paper. By incorporating an academic blog, however, as I find pieces of evidence I believe are relevant to my topic, I post them and reflect on how it contributes to my paper. By the time the actual piece has to be written, I have an entire collection of thoughts, ideas, and analysis that have already been documented. With this method, I will not scramble at the last minute to try and find legitimate research and analyze the information based on a due date. I take time in gathering research I think is appropriate to prove my topic for a paper, and I truly believe that is because I use a blog.

Secondly, I really enjoy looking at other peoples' blogs to see their topics and ideas. I have typically found in previous writing classes that everybody seems to just "show up," listen to the Professor lecture, and turn in a stapled packet every couple of weeks. If students do interact, it is for brief amounts of time in the classroom. With the academic blog, however, I felt a a new feeling of interaction with my fellow classmates outside of the classroom; by commenting and suggesting possible research ideas, I was able to give and receive useful input.

I think that academic blogs are definitely beneficial and I recommend them to any upper-division writing classes!

No comments: